Current:Home > FinanceEthermac|Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin returns to work at the Pentagon after cancer surgery complications -Capitatum
Ethermac|Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin returns to work at the Pentagon after cancer surgery complications
TrendPulse Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-07 05:23:08
WASHINGTON (AP) — Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin returned to work at the Pentagon on EthermacMonday after nearly a month’s absence because of prostate cancer and met with NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg.
“At this important time, I’m glad to be back at the Pentagon,” said Austin, speaking at the start of the meeting. “I feel good and am recovering well, but still recovering, and I appreciate all the good wishes that I have received thus far.”
After that session, Austin went to the White House Situation Room for a meeting of the national security team to discuss the drone attack at a base in Jordan that killed three U.S. troops and wounded several dozen others.
He was last in the Pentagon on Dec. 21. He had been diagnosed with prostate cancer earlier in December, and he went to a hospital for a surgical procedure for the cancer on Dec. 22. He worked the following week from home.
AP AUDIO: Defense Secretary Austin returns to work at the Pentagon after cancer surgery complications.
AP Washington correspondent Sagar Meghani reports.
On Jan. 1, he was taken by ambulance to Walter Reed National Military Medical Center after experiencing extreme pain and was admitted to the intensive care unit. He stayed there for two weeks but didn’t inform the White House or his deputy that he had cancer, had surgery or had been taken back to the hospital and put in intensive care until days later. He told President Joe Biden and other key leaders about his diagnosis only after he’d been in the hospital more than a week.
Austin’s lack of disclosure has prompted changes in federal guidelines and has triggered an internal Pentagon review and an inspector general review into his department’s notification procedures. Both reviews are ongoing.
Austin has been working from home since he got out of the hospital on Jan. 15, and he made his first public appearance early last week during a virtual Ukraine contact defense group meeting. He gave opening remarks for the meeting via video camera that was streamed online.
Doctors at Walter Reed said on Friday that Austin’s prostate cancer prognosis is excellent and no further treatments will be needed. He saw doctors for a checkup on Friday.
Austin has been criticized for keeping secret his prostate cancer diagnosis, surgery and subsequent hospitalization with complications from the procedure.
He was diagnosed in early December and had what the Pentagon described as a “minimally invasive surgical procedure,” called a prostatectomy, to treat the cancer on Dec. 22. He was under general anesthesia during this procedure and had transferred some authorities to his deputy defense secretary, Kathleen Hicks. He was discharged the next day and continued to perform his duties.
veryGood! (7894)
Related
- Rolling Loud 2024: Lineup, how to stream the world's largest hip hop music festival
- Child wounded at Kansas City Chiefs parade shooting says incident has left him traumatized
- Colorado university mourns loss of two people found fatally shot in dorm; investigation ongoing
- Ex-YouTube CEO’s son dies at UC Berkeley campus, according to officials, relative
- Will the 'Yellowstone' finale be the last episode? What we know about Season 6, spinoffs
- What is Presidents Day and how is it celebrated? What to know about the federal holiday
- Powerball winning numbers for Feb. 17 drawing: Jackpot worth over $300 million
- Abortion rights opponents and supporters seize on report that Trump privately pushes 16-week ban
- Oklahoma parole board recommends governor spare the life of man on death row
- What happened to Floridalma Roque? She went to Guatemala for plastic surgery and never returned.
Ranking
- Tom Holland's New Venture Revealed
- Book excerpt: True North by Andrew J. Graff
- How a Northwest tribe is escaping a rising ocean
- A Second Wind For Wind Power?
- Tom Holland's New Venture Revealed
- A suspended Pennsylvania judge charged with shooting her ex-boyfriend as he slept
- American woman goes missing in Spain shortly after man disables cameras
- Bryce Harper wants longer deal with Phillies to go in his 40s, accepts move to first base
Recommendation
Man can't find second winning lottery ticket, sues over $394 million jackpot, lawsuit says
Read the full decision in Trump's New York civil fraud case
You’re So Invited to Look at Adam Sandler’s Sweetest Moments With Daughters Sadie and Sunny
Stock market today: Asian shares are mostly higher as Chinese markets reopen after Lunar New Year
Taylor Swift Cancels Austria Concerts After Confirmation of Planned Terrorist Attack
Is Rooney Mara expecting her second child with Joaquin Phoenix?
Michael J. Fox Receives Standing Ovation During Appearance at 2024 BAFTAs
Child wounded at Kansas City Chiefs parade shooting says incident has left him traumatized